Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is from my favourite book, The Essential Pasta Cookbook. I love it, and thought I'd share it with you all!
- 500 g button mushrooms, finely sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 (440 g) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 500 g fettuccine pasta
- Heat the oil, and cook the onion and garlic until golden.
- Add the tomatoes and mushrooms, and bring to the boil. reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Cook the fettuccine in a large pan of water, with a splash of olive oil in it.
- Stir the parsley into the sauce, and season with salt & pepper. Toss the sauce through the pasta.
An easy to prepare and flavoursome recipe. I adore cheese but it was the absence of cheese here that makes this such a wonderfully low fat recipe. My only additions were to increase the garlic (as we love garlic), to add one leek (as we love the blend of flavours when the three are cooked together; worth trying if you've not done so). These are both additions I frequently make to recipes. I also added some grindings of rosemary and sage from a mini grinder and some thyme; and I still included the parsley. I used Aldi's Italian tomatoes. For those who can readily get hold of them but have not tried them, they leave all other canned tomatoes for dead. Thank you, Sara, for a great recipe I'll certainly be making again, particularly after having over-indulged in foods with higher fat contents. I also like it that this is a dish I can take to work and re-heat for an easy and yummy lunch! Made for PRMR.