Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I got this recipe from a container of organic yogurt. It looked really good. I love alfredo sauce, but it's so high in calories and fat. This looks like a possible alternative. I haven't tried it - if you try it, please review it!
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- pasta or fettuccine or spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- salt & pepper
- Cook pasta, drain, set aside.
- Cook olive oil and garlic in a skillet until browned.
- Add pasta to skillet, and add 1/2 cup cheese. Mix together.
- Add milk, stir, cook on medium heat for 2 minutes or so.
- Mix yogurt with 1/2 cup of pasta in a separate bowl, to prevent curdling.
- Return yogurt and pasta to pan, mix well.
- Remove from heat, add remainder of cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and let stand for 12-15 minutes, so the pasta can absorb all the liquid.
I LOVED this recipe!!! I used grated WF Parmesan, and I added chicken and steamed broccoli. It was the best alfredo ever! Oh yeah I used whole wheat pasta too.
I used sour cream instead of yogurt, added in a little nutmeg, cracked pepper, and Asiago instead of Parmesan. Instead of adding in pasta after the garlic, I put the sour cream and then 1/2 c. milk in, I added 2 T. cornstarch to other 1/2 c. and mixed to help thicken then poured in. We served over pasta instead of mixing in.
i love this recipe! i add more parmesan cheese than it calls for and i add caynne pepper so it is spicy, otherwise i think it is too bland. i use the shredded parmesan cheese you buy in the bags and it turned out very nice-it wasn't runny at all and with the caynne it had a great flavor!