Recipe by LonghornMama
From Cooking Light's Five Star Recipes, this was one of a handful of Editor's Choice recipes. A lovely sauce for pasta that's much lighter than traditional alfredo. Recipe calls for light process cream cheese which is reduced-fat cream cheese in the little tub. I have used reduced-fat cream cheese in the block without a problem. Original recipe also calls for margarine but I have never use the stuff so have listed butter in the ingredient list. Fettucine should be cooked without salt or fat and kept hot until sauce is added.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups skim milk
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups fresh parmesan cheese, grated and divided
- 4 cups cooked fettuccine
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and saute 1 minute. Whisk in flour. Gradually add skim milk, stirring until blended. Cook, stirring constantly, 8 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in cream cheese; cook 2 minutes. Add 1 cup Parmesan, stirring constantly until melted.
- Pour sauce over hot cooked fettucine and toss to coat. Top with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan, chopped parsley, and pepper.