Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A healthier version of an unhealthy favorite.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated fresh parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons low-fat cream cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces fettuccine
- 2 teaspoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- black pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Stir in flour.
- Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk.
- Cook 6 minutes or til thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add 1 cup parmesan, cream cheese and salt. Stir with whisk while cheeses melt.
- Toss with hot pasta, sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of parmesan and chopped parsley and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
I've made this a bunch and my family loves it! I love it because it is sooo much healthier than the full fat version--you can feel good about eating it. Love making the adding broccoli to the pasta with this sauce--delicious and one of my daughter's favorite dinners.
I was so hoping this would be great but mine turned out grainy and with only 1 cup of cheese it was too salty and too cheesy... Followed the recipe exactly, good volume not thin just not tasty.
Used to just buy a jar and heat up so wanted more control of the ingredients, salt and fat . Grated cheese just wouldn't "melt" all the way... maybe a different cheese combination.
This is my family's FAVORITE alfredo sauce! My husband rather eat this at home than go to a restaurant and eat a much more fattening version! I double the recipe if I'm feeding more than 4 people and use the leftovers as a homemade pizza sauce for later in the week. SO GOOD!