Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
There's good reason why this pasta dish is so popular - it's simply delicious! This makes 4-6 main course servings, but you can get 8 first-course servings.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 ounces prosciutto, diced fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced very fine
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 lb fettuccine pasta
- minced fresh parsley
- Cook fettuccine in plenty of boiling, salted water until almost al dente. Remove 1 cup of the water the fettucine has cooked in and drain the rest away.
- Meanwhile saute prosciutto and garlic in butter.
- Add cheese and stir to melt.
- Slowly whisk in cream and egg yolks.
- Continue stirring until thickened.
- Toss sauce with fettucine; add lots of freshly grated pepper to taste and steep pasta in sauce, covered, for 2-3 minutes before serving. Check to see how 'creamy' the pasta is, if it needs to be 'saucier' add some of the retained water from cooking the pasta until the sauce reaches the consistency you like.
- Give the fettucine a toss again and taste to see if it needs a bit more parmesan.
- Serve either on individual plates or one large serving platter.
- Either way, sprinkle generously with fresh parsley.
This was good. But it could have used more sauce.
I made extra sauce as reviewer RitaL suggested and think that yes, it was needed... it coated the pasta really well & went down a treat... excellent pasta dish. I am saving 5 stars for "really really extra special" recipies, so have this one a well deserved highest 4... means we enjoyed this very much, it will go into the family cookbook and i'll make it often :) Great recipe, Thanks !!!