This is a modified version of the Fettucine Alfredo recipe in the new Joy of Cooking. It's very rich and I highly recommend using the best ingredients you can get.
- 8 -10 ounces pasta (the kind in the refrigerator section of the store is best since it cooks much faster, in about 3 min)
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (NOT the dry Kraft kind!) or 3⁄4 cup shredded parmesan cheese (NOT the dry Kraft kind!)
- 1 garlic clove, minced very fine
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- fresh-grated black pepper
- Boil water for pasta.
- In a large frying pan (a steep-sided wok is ideal) melt butter on very low heat.
- Start cooking pasta.
- In frying pan, combine half and half, Parmesan, garlic, salt and pepper with melted butter.
- Mix thoroughly and turn the heat up to medium (just hot enough to begin melting cheese).
- Pasta should be nearly done by now; drain and pour into frying pan with sauce ingredients.
- Toss together and serve immediately.