Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I saw this on the Food Network and it looked so yummy. You can use pre packaged noodles too--can also add cooked chicken.
- 3 cups flour, plus more
- flour, for dusting
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, plus
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- cornmeal, for dusting
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- freshly cracked black pepper
- chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- To make pasta dough:.
- Combine the flour and salt; shape into a mound on your work surface and make a well in the center.
- Add whole eggs, yolks, and 1 tablespoon olive oil to the well and lightly beat with a fork.
- Gradually draw in the flour from the inside wall of the well in a circular motion.
- Use 1 hand for mixing and the other to protect the outer wall.
- Continue to incorporate all the flour until it forms a ball.
- Knead and fold the dough until elastic and smooth, this should take about 10 minutes. Brush the surface with remaining olive oil and wrap the dough in plastic wrap;.
- let rest for about 30 minutes to allow the gluten to relax.
- Divide the ball of dough in small sections, cover and reserve the dough you are not immediately using to prevent it from drying out.
- Form the dough into a rectangle and roll it through the pasta machine, 2 or 3 times, at widest setting.
- Pull and stretch the sheet of dough with the palm of your hand as it emerges from the rollers.
- Reduce the setting and crank dough through again, 2 or 3 times. Continue tightening and rolling until the sheet is about 1/4-inch thick.
- Keep in mind, overly thick pasta tastes gummy.
- Cut the long sheet into workable 18-inch pieces.
- Now, using the fettuccine cutting attachment, run the sheets through the cutting slot.
- Dust the noodles and a baking sheet with cornmeal.
- Coil the strands into a nest. Allow to dry for about 10 minutes before cooking.
- To prepare alfredo sauce:.
- Heat heavy cream over low-medium heat in a deep sauté pan.
- Add butter and whisk gently to melt. Sprinkle in cheese and stir to incorporate. Season with freshly cracked black pepper.
- In a large stockpot, cook pasta in plenty of boiling salted water for 3 minutes.
- Quickly drain the pasta and add it to the sauté pan, gently toss the noodles to coat in the alfredo.
- Transfer pasta to a warm serving bowl.
- Top with more grated cheese and chopped parsley.
- Serve immediately.