Prep 30 mins
Cook 24 hrs
I have not made this but tasted and the possibilities on serving this would be endless. Served with salad, melted over pasta or pizza, served on a cheese platter or with antipasto. You may prefer it just on its own with crackers! I will be making this soon, tastes delcious! Serving size depends on size of jar used.
- 500 g feta cheese
- 354.88 ml milk
- 354.88 ml water
- 3 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 sprig rosemary
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 small fresh red chilies
- 14.79 ml yellow mustard seeds
- 9.85 ml fennel seeds
- 9.85 ml dried juniper berries
- 4.92 ml lemon rind, grated
- 473.18 ml olive oil (approx)
- Cut the cheese into 3cm slices and place cheese in a large bowl. Pour over the milk and water, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain cheese and discard the milk mixture.
- Place the cheese, herbs, chillies, seeds, berries and rind in a large jar and cover with the olive oil, leaving a 1cm space between the oil and top of the jar.
- Seal jar.
- This is best made a day ahead of serving and will keep for 1 week in a cool dark place, although I would prefer the fridge I think!
This is a great recipe in more ways than one. I had to reorganise the spice cupboard to find my juniper berries! The finished cheese is sensational and I can imagine many uses for it. Now a few tips. I used a kilo jar, and it held just under 500 grams of feta. I needed only 1 3/4 cups of oil to fill to the absolute brim. I love fennel, but the flavour is quite strong, so others may want to cut back a bit. Also, in my experience, olive oil solidifies when it is cold, so if you decide to store this in the fridge, you will need to take it out well in advance of using, but it's too delicious to hang around for long. Yummo!