Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
I make these often, and always a week or 2 ahead. They may be baked, covered with foil, and frozen. Thaw at room temperature 30 minutes. Bake squares at 350°F for 25 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- 1 lb feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 (12 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 frozen phyllo pastry sheets, thawed
- 1⁄2 lb butter, melted
- Beat cheeses at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended.
- Add eggs at low speed, one at a time, until blended.
- Stir in dill, salt, and pepper.
- Cut each pastry sheet into a 13x9-inch rectangle.
- Stack 8 pastry sheets in a lightly greased 13x9-inch pan, brushing with butter between sheets.
- Spread with cheese mixture; top with 4 more sheets, and brush with butter.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
These were very good and very easy. I added about 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme. I had a little of the filling left over and used it in an omelet - delicious.
These are amazing. I made these to have on hand as a snack while we had some company over. I made them up the night before and par-cooked them then finished them up the next day. Everyone loved them (except some of the kids). I cheated and used Butter flavored cooking spray, following the directions on the Phyllo box to fold the sheets like a book and spray the pages one by one. This one is a keeper.