Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 min
Easy and delicious
Make and share this Feta, Garbanzo Bean, and Eggplant Pita Sandwich recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb Japanese eggplant, unpeeled,cut into 3/4 cubes 1 1/2 cup chopped onions 15 oz can garbanzo beans, drained, reserve 1/2
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained, 1/2 cup juices reserved
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint, divided
- 5 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 3 pita bread rounds, warmed in oven or toasted
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add eggplants and onions, saute until soft and beginning to brown.
- Stir in garbanzo beans, cumin, lemon juice, saute until heated through.
- If mixture seems dry, add garbanzo bean juice by tablepoonfuls.
- Stir in 3 tbsp mint and 3 tbsp feta cheese, season with salt and pepper.
- Cut pita breads in halves, spoon eggplant mixture into pita.
- Sprinkle with remaining mint and feta then serve.
This was a great vegetarian hot lunch. At first I thought the cumin sounded a little out of place but it combined with the lemon juice and mint make for a great flavor combo. The eggplant, onion, feta and garbanzos make it filling and tasty -- I especially like the salty punch the feta gives. I enjoyed this in a warmed whole grain pita -- which makes it South Beach phase two friendly. :) Definitely a keeper.