Recipe by evelyn/athens
This is a delicious way to begin (or end - depending on whether you serve dinner in the North American or European manner) any meal and very handy as it incorporates both cheese and salad courses.;-)
Top Review by awalde
8 years without review? I'm glad I found this wonderful recipe. Unbelivable beutiful and good!
I did non have small ramequin mold, so I used clay ones of aboout 1 cup (sold with 250 ml Greek yogurt). They came out beautiful, no problems to take out of the mold, soft and tasty.
This is highly recommended! Something that would impress all your guests!
Thanks a lot Evelyn!
- 1 cup fine fresh breadcrumb
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons minced sun-dried tomatoes (packed in oil and drained)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 7 large egg whites
- salad greens, for 8 people tossed with
- your favourite vinaigrette
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Butter 8, ½ cup ramekins and coat well with breadcrumbs, knocking out excess and reserving.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over moderately low heat and whisk in flour.
- Cook roux, whisking constantly, for 3 minutes.
- Add milk in a stream, whisking.
- Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together ¾ cup cheese, milk mixture, yolks, sun-dried tomatoes, dill, and season to taste (careful the feta is already quite salty!).
- Beat whites until they hold stiff peaks.
- Stir half of whites into cheese mixture to lighten and fold in remainder, gently but thoroughly.
- Fill each ramekin halfway with soufflé mixture and divide remaining cheese among ramekins.
- Fill with remaining soufflé mixture and sprinkle with reserved crumbs.
- Put ramekins in a large baking pan and add enough hot water to reach halfway up sides of ramekins.
- Bake in middle of oven until golden-brown, about 25 minutes.
- Remove and let stand in pan 15 minutes.
- Run a knife around edge of soufflés and invert onto a baking sheet.
- (may be prepared up to 1 ½ hours in advance and kept at room temperature, or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 6 hours, no more, bring to room temperature before continuing).
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Bake in middle of oven until puffed and golden-brown, 5-7 minutes.
- Divide salad among 8 salad plates and put one soufflé atop each plate of greens.
- Serve immediately.