Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
From "The Great Big Butter Cookbook". Haven't tried it yet, so prep time is a guess.
- 16 sheets phyllo dough, cut into 32 squares
- 1⁄4 lb butter, melted (1 stick)
- 3 cups spinach, cooked and chopped
- 10 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup spicy marinara sauce
- 2 ounces asiago cheese
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- Brush each square of phyllo dough with melted butter and stack them in eight stacks of four. As you stack them, turn them slightly so the corners do not match up evenly.
- Cover the stacks with a slightly moistened towel or plastic wrap to keep phyllo from drying out.
- Combine the spinach, feta, garlic and eggs, and season with salt and pepper. Place a portion of the mixture on each of the stacks of phyllo. Pull the phyllo up over the mixture and pinch it together to make a pouch. Place the pouch on a baking sheet and brush with melted butter. Repeat to form 8 pouches, placing them approximately 1 inch apart on baking sheet.
- Bake the pouches for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- To serve, put some marinara in a large serving bowl and set the pouches on top. Grind fresh pepper over the top of each pouch and garnish with basil and asiago cheese. Serve hot.