Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These muffins are a nice savoury version of the old classic. They have a mediterranian edge to them and go great with soups and stews. If you like, experiment with the type of cheese used (goats cheese would be nice, too) and adjust the herbs and spices to your liking. This recipe is very flexible, so have fun. :)
- 280 g flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 generous dashes ground chili peppers
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder (or use 1 fresh clove, chopped)
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 3 -4 scallions, sliced
- 150 g feta cheese, diced (or try goats cheese)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 250 g plain yogurt (or try buttermilk)
- 6 tablespoons oil
- In a big bowl combine all of the dry ingredients. Add the scallion slices and the feta cheese. Toss to combine.
- In a second bowl combine eggs, oil and yogurt.
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fill into prepared muffin tins and bake in the preheated oven at 180° C/350°F for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Enjoy! :).
I made this recipe as stated (except for reducing the oil by half) and found that the batter was quite thick which I don't think had anything to do with the lesser addition of oil. I made the recipe using yoghurt. I was tempted to add some milk but decided not to. I would recommend that you either use the buttermilk suggestion or yogurt some milk, because the muffins did not 'spread out'. Also - I would recommend that you crumble the feta cheese instead of dicing because the cheese did not melt in the muffins. I don't mind that because I like my feta A LOT. All in all a nice tasting muffin that would be even better with a few tweaks.
I LOVED these! I used my scale, yet wonder if I measured everything correctly because my batter was so thick that I needed to thin it with a splash of milk. Next time I'll add more garlic powder, or scallions, or both! I crumbled the feta and used fresh rosemary ~ I got 24 mini muffins and 9 little bundt-shaped muffins. Made for Mardi Gras Photo Tag 2012.