Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Try using herbed feta cheese instead of plain, or add your favorite herbs ... yummy!! I always freeze leftovers, then heat in the microwave. Makes 1.5 pound loaf
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or 2 teaspoons vegetable oil (I use olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups bread flour, unsifted
- 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 1⁄2 cup halved pitted Greek olive
- Heat buttermilk for 30 seconds in the microwave on HIGH.
- Add ingredients to the bread machine according to your manufacturer's directions, except the olives.
- Cycle: Basic or Nut, Loaf Size: 1.5 lb.
- After 5 minutes of kneading, check the dough; add a tablespoon of water at a time if too dry, or a tablesoon of flour at a time if too wet.
- Add the olives at the add-in beep.
Very good bread! Deliciously savory. And I certainly can see how it would make a great grilled cheese sandwich; I plan to try that. But it needs no topping for moisture; it is just scrumptious on its own. I put the feta in during the second kneading and the olives at the very end of the second cycle. If you want the olives to be distributed in larger pieces, I recommend putting them in whole (but pitted!) rather than halves. Do make this bread, folks! :-)
I LOVE this bread! I've made it several times now, used herbed and plain feta and canola oil instead of olive. It is lovely....try a sandwich with this, very nice. My teen grand-d thinks this makes a perfect grilled cheese sandwich.