Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I got this from the South Beach Diet cookbook. I thought it was delicious and very filling. And it really smells up the kitchen nice.
- 8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped turkey bacon (cooked)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl combine olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Butterfly cut the chicken.
- mix together feta and bacon.
- stuff each breast with feta and bacon mixture. secure sides of chicken with toothpicks (if needed).
- Pour oil mixture over top of breasts.
- Bake uncovered for 30 - 35 minutes.
This was very good, however it did take me quite a long time to prepare which I disliked. It did taste yummy and smelled delicous while it was cooking.
This was a delicious, easy recipe! I used regular feta cheese and added more turkey bacon than the 1/4 cup. With the chicken breasts, I ended up butterflying half of the breasts and just making "pockets" within the remaining chicken breasts (cutting into one side only to create the pocket). The chicken breasts with pockets ended up being much less dry, so I'll do this for all of the breasts next time. Also, using toothpicks to secure the sides of all of the chicken to fully cover the stuffing helps keep the chicken moist, too. My husband LOVED this dish, so I made another variation the following week using a stuffing of mozzarella and prosciutto. Then, I covered the tops of the breasts with a homemade tomato sauce. This variation was also delicious! Thanks for a delicious recipe that's easy to modify for lots of variations!
I used regular bacon and full fat feta but didn't add any salt since both the bacon and cheese were salty enough. Since the breasts I had were huge, I added another 15 minutes to the cooking time. This recipe is one I will use when we have company because the ingredients work well with each other, are easy to assemble and are delicious.