Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Bansko is a mountain resort town in Bulgaria so, you have guessed it right, one more entry from the Bulgarian National Cuisine cookbook.
- 1 lb feta cheese (preferably from ewe's milk)
- 2 tomatoes (about 5 oz)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 chilies (chopped)
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup soda water (just plain soda water with no flavor or sweeteners)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- black pepper
- Crush the feta cheese, or cut it into slices, and place it in a terracotta dish with a lid. If you do not have one, use a lidded disposable aluminium dish.
- Arrange the sliced tomatoes, butter, and chilies over it.
- Cover the dish and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Beat the eggs with the soda water; pour over the cheese and tomatoes.
- Cover again and bake until the surface of the eggs becomes yellow and cooked.
- Serve sprinkled with paprika and black pepper.
- NOTE: Instead of chopping the chilies, you could place them whole over the egg mixture and let them bake with it. However, that will mean adding 3 more so there be one chili in each serving.