Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Recipe from Diabetes Cookbook for Dummies. This is such a tasty appetizer. My dear husband made it for me and it was "to die for"
- 8 slices French bread, large
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely crushed
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Brush bread with oil.
- Rub soft side with garlic.
- Arrange bread in one layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 500F until bread is lightly toasted, about 3-5 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine tomatoes, basil, and feta cheese.
- Divide mixture and spoon onto each slice of toasted bread.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve warm.
Love this recipe. It's great when you are on a diet and want a special treat.
My husband and I enjoyed this recipe. I think I will try adding a little olive oil right to the mixture, to help hold it together when spreading on the bread. We can't wait to make this when my tomatoes are ready to pick this summer.
My family felt this was ok, but missing something. They gave it three stars. I added some balsamic vinegar, and they all agreed it was better with the balsamic.