Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I got the idea for this recipe from an Athenos feta cheese ad. It's easy, really tasty and everyone in my family loves it. Good after-work recipe for the working people out there.
- 4 beef cube steaks
- 1 (4 ounce) containercrumbled feta cheese with dried basil and tomato
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can diced tomato, do not drain
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Place cubed steaks between plastic wrap and whack with a meat hammer to thin the thicker spots, don't whack too hard or you'll shred the meat.
- Divide the cheese, put along the meat, on a long side, then roll up and close the seams with toothpicks.
- You can tuck in the ends and close those with toothpicks as well.
- Heat the oil, over medium high heat, in a skillet that has a lid.
- Add the rolls and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Don't worry about any cheese that leaks out, it will add to the sauce.
- Add tomatoes and minced garlic, stir it around a little.
- When mixture bubbles, turn down to medium, cover and cook for about 20 minutes, until beef is no longer pink.
- Serve this with cooked white rice, a tossed green salad and maybe some rolls (if you're really hungry) and you won't be sorry.
This was a very tasty way to use cube steaks. I didn't have the right flavor feta but used a garlic herb mixture. Sauce turned out very flavorful. Good recipe.
We enjoyed this low-carb meal very much (I made with cubed venison). I added a little fresh thyme and basil. Being on the Atkins diet, I omitted the rice, and put tomatoes & juice in bowl for soup and poured some over the steak on our plates. Some of the cheese leaked out, which gve the tomato broth a delicious flavor, too. I will make this again.
I didn't follow the recipe exactly. I couldn't roll up the cube steaks because they kept coming undone even with toothpicks. I finally gave up and just laid the cube steaks flat in the pan and sprinkled them with feta cheese. I didn't have canned tomatoes, so I used about 1 cup of salsa. That worked just fine. The steaks came out tender and tasty enough. This was a decent recipe that is worth trying if you have some cube steaks.