Recipe by Pets'R'us
Serve some bread with this appetizer. In a larger dish this can be part of a Mezze meal. Prep time is based on cleaned and deveined shrimp.
Top Review by JustJanS
Petrus, if I could give more stars I would! This was wonderful as our appetiser (with the bread) tonight. Russell cooked and used canned, chopped tomatoes, otherwise no changes to a fantasic recipe.
- 2 cups tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon ouzo or 1 tablespoon Pernod (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shrimp, cleaned and deveined (raw weight)
- 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add tomatoes.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until tomatoes soften and give up some of their juice.
- Add crushed garlic, bay leaf, and Ouzo (if using) and cook five minutes more.
- Remove from heat, discard the bay leaf.
- Stir in oregano and salt and pepper to taste.
- Lightly coat four or six individual baking dishes with olive oil, place shrimp in the bottom of each dish, top shrimp with tomato sauce.
- Divide the feta cheese, over the top of each dish, sprinkle with capers.
- (you can also use a single baking dish, 8-10 inches square or diameter).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until hot and bubbly and shrimp is cooked through, cooking time will vary according to the size of the shrimp, cut into a shrimp to be sure it is cooked through.