Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
This is delicious. I can't say more. The recipe comes from Martha Day's Vegetarian flip book.
- 1 lb potato
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- 4 spring onions or 1 onion, tennis ball- size,chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried dill
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- flour (for dredging)
- olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Boil the potatoes in their skins in lightly salted water until soft.
- Drain, peel the potatoes while warm, place in a bowl and mash.
- Add the feta cheese crumbled, the spring onions or the onion, dill, lemon juice and egg.
- Season with salt and pepper (not too much salt: the feta cheese is fairly salted already).
- Stir well.
- Cover the mixture and chill about 30 minutes.
- Divide the mixture in walnut-size balls, and flatten them slightly so they look like little thick cookies (it helps to have a bowl with water on the table to clean the hands after making several patties: they get very sticky!).
- Dredge with the flour.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan (like 3 tablespoons) and fry the patties until golden brown on each side.
- Keep adding little oil when needed.
- Drain on kitchen paper and serve warm.
Wonderful flavor! I didn't add enough dill though, next time I will use the full amount specified in the recipe, and there will be a next time! Thanks!