Prep 0 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Adapted from the International Chili Society Official Chili Cookbook, 1981. This is an older recipe. The original contains 2 teaspoons monosodium glutamate. I have left this out, but you may use it if you wish. I recommend using reduced-salt bouillon and omitting or reducing the amount of salt.
- 4 lbs coarsely ground venison (or beef)
- oil, if necessary
- 2 large onions, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil leaves, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 cups bouillon
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- Brown meat in a large pot or Dutch oven, breaking it up finely as it browns.
- Add a little oil if the meat is too dry.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients.
- Cover and simmer 2 1/2-3 hours.