Recipe by Heydarl
A great accompaniment to any Indonesian meal. From The Complete Asian Cookbook by Charmaine Solomon.
Top Review by An_Net
I made this last night and although nervous about the timing it was exactly right. The sweet of the coconut milk and spiciness of the turmeric and curry leaves went so well together. The colour was amazing. I'll be cooking this regularly now as its one of those put it on the stove and leave it to cook recipes that I love. Great recipe Heydarl. Thanks
- 1 kg long grain rice
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 large onions, finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 8 cups coconut milk
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 6 curry leaves
- banana leaves or bamboo leaves, for serving
- marbled egg (recipe 24091)
- 2 green cucumbers, sliced
- 3 fresh red chilies
- 3 fresh green chilies
Directions See How It's Made
- If rice needs washing, wash well beforehand and allow to drain at least 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan with a well-fitting lid. Fry onions and garlic until onions are soft and golden, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Add rice and fry for a minute or two, then add coconut milk, salt, turmeric and elave for flavouring.
- Bring to the boil, stirring with a long spoon. As soon as liquid comes to the boil, turn heat very low, cover tightly with lid and allow to steam for 20 minutes.
- Uncover, quickly stir in with a fork any coconut mild that remains unabsorbed around edge of pan, replace lid and leave on same low heat for a further 3 minutes.
- Turn off heat, uncover and allow steam to escape and rice to cool slightly. Remove leaves used for flavouring and gently fork rice onto a large platter or a tray lined with well washed banana or bamboo leaves. Shape into a cone, pressing firmly. Use pieces of greased banana leaf or foil to do this. Sarround with marbled eggs, halved, sliced green cucumber and fresh chilies for decoration.