Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Taste of Home. Unique salad with pear, apple, dried cranberry, swiss cheese and cashews. Also has a home made dressing.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 -3 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 10 cups romaine lettuce, torn
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1 medium pear, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2-1 cup cashews, chopped
- In a blender or food processor, combine the sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, onion and salt. Cover and process until blended. With blender running, gradually add oil. Add poppy seeds and blend.
- In a salad bowl, combine the romaine, Swiss cheese, apple, pear and cranberries. Drizzle with desired amount of dressing. Add cashews; toss to coat.
- Serve immediately.
This is a wonderful salad. I only made half the dressing, and just threw in approximate amounts of the other ingredients. I love the variety of flavors with all the fruits and nuts. I used dried cherries in place of the cranberries. I'll be making this whenever I want to impress!
Excellent salad! Everyone loved it! Full of lots of great stuff, I loved the combination of swiss with sweet fruit, crunchy nuts, and sweet and sour dressing. Used only about half the dressing and would suggest making dressing ahead of time so the flavors have time to meld. Would be wonderful for the holidays! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Made this for Christmas gathering to go along with seafood gumbo. Thought that next to the delish gumbo, a salad of any kind would not turn any heads, but received quite a few compliments. Forgot to add in the swiss cheese, so I imagine it is even better with that. Also, only ended up topping with about half the dressing. Thanks for the idea, I am always looking for new ways to jazz up the healthier sides, especially salads