Recipe by Manami
This is a to "die-for" strawberry trifle. It is easy to make, or can be used with frozen berry slices, as well. This is beautiful for all holidays, dinner parties or just to treat yourselves! I found this on Diana's Desserts and have made a few minor changes, not that it needed it, but I can't help myself.
Top Review by emlet2
I'd probably give this a 4.5 stars. Tasted good, but I was confused a little with the recipe...
I followed the directions almost exactly, except I didn't use amaretto (kids present). The almond extract wasn't specified as to where and when it should be mixed in, so I just poured it into the mixture. It was slightly overpowering with the 1tsp, and if the amaretto would have been added, it would have definately overpowered.
The other problem I had, was the recipe called for a 3 oz box of pudding, which I didn't realize until later that I had bought a 1 oz box. Good thing, becaus ewhen mixed with the 1 cup of milk, it was kind of muddy (and would have been extremely thick with the 3 oz box).
Other than that, tasted pretty good and went over really well.
- 24 ladyfingers or 1 chocolate pound cake or 1 regular poundcake
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, washed and hulled, halved or
- frozen strawberries, halved, if necessary
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 -3 cups whipped cream
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Amaretto, to douse the cubed cake
- 6 -10 strawberries
- chocolate curls
Directions See How It's Made
- Arrange a layer of lady fingers or chocolate pound cake cubes in the bottom of a large glass trifle bowl or other glass bowl, and douse with amaretto.
- Whip the cream cheese and sour cream with sugar and add the pudding mixed with milk until you get a smooth mixture.
- Divide mixture into two and cover the lady fingers or chocolate pound cake or regular pound cake, that has had a sprinkling or two of amaretto over and through it, with half the quantity.
- Decorate with strawberry halves and sliced almonds, and cover with whipped cream.
- Repeat the arrangement of the layers, and top with whole strawberries and whipped cream.
- Garnish trifle with chocolate curls.
- Keep trifle refrigerated long enough to allow to chill and for the flavors to marry.