Recipe by Battle in Seattle
Every time I make this, I get a lot of great reviews. I think I got the recipe years ago in a Taste of Home magazine. I always make extra dressing and keep it around (practically forever), as it tastes great on everything!
Top Review by Crafty Lady 13
Summer is over, but I wanted to have strawberries one more time, and this salad showcases the strawberries perfectly. The dressing is so pretty and so yummy. I added a little more sugar because the dressing was a little tart for my taste. I can't wait until next summer to have this yummy salad again. Made for Nov 2009 My-3-Chefs.
- 10 cups fresh spinach
- 1⁄2 cup thin sliced red onion
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, quartered*
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained*
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped pecans, toasted*
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (can substitute lemon)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 -3 teaspoons poppy seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- In a blender or food processor, combine the sugar, vinegar, lime juice, onion and salt. Cover and process until well blended and smooth. With blender running, gradually add oil. Add poppy seeds and pulse until blended.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the spinach, red onion, strawberries & oranges. Toss with desired amount of dressing. Sprinkle pecans on top.
- * There are many fruits/cheeses/nuts that go well with this tangy dressing. Try any different combination below: Goat (Chevre) Cheese, Dried Cranberries, Toasted almonds; Feta Cheese, Mango, Toasted pinenuts; Gorgonzola Cheese, Fresh or Dried Figs, Toasted Pistachios; Blue Cheese, Sliced Bosc or Asian Pear, Candied Walnuts; Swiss or Emanthaler Cheese, Dried Apricots, Candied Pecans.