Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a great vegetarian main dish or omnivore side dish. If you're not on a low-fat diet, you could add lots of other goodies. I love it as is because it's low-fat and delicious for the holidays.
- 2 cups brown rice, preferably Lundberg Country Wild rice blend
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds or 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 zucchini, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, minced
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 large carrot, minced
- 1 -2 celery rib, minced
- 1 cup whole kernel corn (frozen is fine)
- 1 cup dried cranberries (or substitute raisins)
Optional Orange-Apricot Glaze
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon apricot preserves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cook the rice according to instructions, but adding the vegetable stock cubes.
- In a dry non-stick skillet, lightly sautee veggies until done enough for your taste. Set aside.
- When the rice is done, mix rice, almonds, veggies, and cranberries together.
- For glaze, combine all ingredients in a nonreactive bowl and mix well. Glaze may be made up to 4 days in advance.
- Pour glaze over rice, if desired.
- Enjoy! This also works well as a stuffing for winter squash.