1/2 Photos of Festive Macaroni and Cheese
1 hr 45 mins
Sierra Silver's Note:
It looks like something from Christmas, tastes like something from summer, and makes you feel like you're over at grandma's. This is a nice, healthy, flavorful macaroni. Feel free to add a bit of shredded chicken if you feel like it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 3 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup American cheese, cubed
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped finely
- 1 lb broccoli, thawed and chopped or 1 lb cauliflower, mix thawed and chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1In a large skillet, sauté scallions, bell pepper, and jalapeno until softened; drain.
- 2Cook macaroni just until al dente, 8-10 minutes.
- 3In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- 4Add flour; whisk while cooking, and cook until smooth and lightly browned.
- 5Whisk in evaporated milk, milk, and spices; stir until thickened.
- 6Stir in American cheese; allow to melt thoroughly. Add cheddar in one-cup increments, melting thoroughly between additions.
- 7Mix sauce with vegetables and pasta; add to greased 13 x 9 inch pan.
- 8Top with breadcrumbs.
- 9Bake, uncovered, at 350 F 40-45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Festive Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (493 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 863.5
- Calories from Fat 345
- Total Fat 38.3 g
- Saturated Fat 22.7 g
- Cholesterol 115.8 mg
- Sodium 1590.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 38.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: