It looks like something from Christmas, tastes like something from summer, and makes you feel like you're over at grandma's. This is a nice, healthy, flavorful macaroni. Feel free to add a bit of shredded chicken if you feel like it.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 3 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup American cheese, cubed
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped finely
- 1 lb broccoli, thawed and chopped or 1 lb cauliflower, mix thawed and chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- In a large skillet, sauté scallions, bell pepper, and jalapeno until softened; drain.
- Cook macaroni just until al dente, 8-10 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add flour; whisk while cooking, and cook until smooth and lightly browned.
- Whisk in evaporated milk, milk, and spices; stir until thickened.
- Stir in American cheese; allow to melt thoroughly. Add cheddar in one-cup increments, melting thoroughly between additions.
- Mix sauce with vegetables and pasta; add to greased 13 x 9 inch pan.
- Top with breadcrumbs.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 F 40-45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.