1/2 Photos of Festive Jewel Nut Bars
Recipe USA's Note:
These colorful bars, with the eye-catching appeal of candied cherries and the crunchy goodness of mixed nuts are certain to become a holiday standby year after year. I get lots of compliments on the rich, chewy crust and the combination of sweet and salty flavors. --- Joyce Fitt, Listowel,
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups salted mixed nuts
- 1 1/2 cups green and red candied cherries, halved
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 (8 ounce) package Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar, white granulated
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 11. In a bowl, combine flour and 1/3 cup brown sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a lightly greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan.
- 22. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- 33. While bottom layer is baking - make cream cheese layer by mixing the following in a small bowl:.
- 44. 1 regular package of philadelphia cream cheese (not the small size).
- 55. 1/3 cup of white granulated sugar.
- 66. 1 egg.
- 77. 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- 88. Mix cream cheese layer with electric mixer for 2-3 minutes until smooth. Spread on crumb layer and then continue with recipe below.
- 99. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, beat egg. Add salt and remaining brown sugar.
- 1010. Stir in the nuts, cherries and chocolate chips.
- 1111. Spoon evenly over crust. Bake at 325 degrees for 30-40 minutes, depending on your oven. Be careful not to over cook these.
- 1212. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield 2 dozen.
- 13The original recipe does not call for a layer of cream cheese. I modified the recipe to suit my taste after I made it the first time without the cream cheese layer. I felt it was too dry and needed additional texture that the cream cheese layer adds nicely.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Festive Jewel Nut Bars
Serving Size: 1 (52 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 232.3
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 43.2 mg
- Sodium 183.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 12.9 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: