Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
These colorful bars, with the eye-catching appeal of candied cherries and the crunchy goodness of mixed nuts are certain to become a holiday standby year after year. I get lots of compliments on the rich, chewy crust and the combination of sweet and salty flavors. --- Joyce Fitt, Listowel,
- 1 1⁄4 cups all purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 3⁄4 cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups salted mixed nuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups green and red candied cherries, halved
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 (8 ounce) package Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, white granulated
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1. In a bowl, combine flour and 1/3 cup brown sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a lightly greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan.
- 2. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- 3. While bottom layer is baking - make cream cheese layer by mixing the following in a small bowl:.
- 4. 1 regular package of philadelphia cream cheese (not the small size).
- 5. 1/3 cup of white granulated sugar.
- 6. 1 egg.
- 7. 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- 8. Mix cream cheese layer with electric mixer for 2-3 minutes until smooth. Spread on crumb layer and then continue with recipe below.
- 9. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, beat egg. Add salt and remaining brown sugar.
- 10. Stir in the nuts, cherries and chocolate chips.
- 11. Spoon evenly over crust. Bake at 325 degrees for 30-40 minutes, depending on your oven. Be careful not to over cook these.
- 12. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield 2 dozen.
- The original recipe does not call for a layer of cream cheese. I modified the recipe to suit my taste after I made it the first time without the cream cheese layer. I felt it was too dry and needed additional texture that the cream cheese layer adds nicely.