1/6 Photos of Festive Honey-Glazed Roasted Root Vegetables With Saffron
1 hr 10 mins
French Tart's Note:
Roasted parsnips, carrots and pink shallots, glazed with saffron honey and sprinkled with cumin and celery seeds......sublime! These roasted root vegetables are undoubtedly very special, and they are so easy to roast as they require NO par-boiling beforehand. A simple glaze is made by adding saffron to melted honey, before sprinkling cumin and celery seeds over the top......slam them in the oven, and pour yourself a glass of wine! I make these nearly every Christmas and for other special events throughout the year. I have experimented with other vegetables, but have found that this simple combination works the best for optimum flavour and colour, so no need to over gild the lily! Sprinkle them with chopped lovage or parsley before serving. I have indicated amounts per person and not weights....please adjust the quantities to your own requirements.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 6 large parsnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 6 -12 pink shallots, peeled and halved if very large
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon honey, to taste heated through until runny
- 3 g powdered saffron or 6 -12 saffron threads, softened in a little warm water
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- chopped lovage (to garnish) or parsley (to garnish)
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 1Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
- 2Take a large roasting tray, one that will take the vegetables in one layer, and add the olive oil to it, then heat the oil in the oven for about 5 minutes until very hot.
- 3Take the tray out and add the prepared vegetables immediately, tossing them around to get a good coating of oil, put them back in the oven and roast them for 30 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, heat up the honey in a small saucepan or in the microwave and add the softened saffron threads or saffron powder - mix well.
- 5After 30 minutes, take the vegetables out and add the honey and saffron, pouring over the vegetables and turning them around to make sure that all have an even coating of the mixture.
- 6Sprinkle the cumin seeds, celery seeds, sea salt and black pepper to taste over the top and give them a quick mix again, before putting them back into the oven for a further 20 to 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft, glazed and tinged brown at the edges.
- 7Serve them in an attractive serving bowl and sprinkle with chopped lovage or parsley.
- 8I have allowed one of each vegetable per serving, this may be too generous - please adjust the quantities to suit what else you may be serving alongside these vegetables!
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Festive Honey-Glazed Roasted Root Vegetables With Saffron
Serving Size: 1 (75 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 81.2
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 55.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 1.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: