Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Roasted parsnips, carrots and pink shallots, glazed with saffron honey and sprinkled with cumin and celery seeds......sublime! These roasted root vegetables are undoubtedly very special, and they are so easy to roast as they require NO par-boiling beforehand. A simple glaze is made by adding saffron to melted honey, before sprinkling cumin and celery seeds over the top......slam them in the oven, and pour yourself a glass of wine! I make these nearly every Christmas and for other special events throughout the year. I have experimented with other vegetables, but have found that this simple combination works the best for optimum flavour and colour, so no need to over gild the lily! Sprinkle them with chopped lovage or parsley before serving. I have indicated amounts per person and not weights....please adjust the quantities to your own requirements.
- 6 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 6 large parsnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 6 -12 pink shallots, peeled and halved if very large
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon honey, to taste heated through until runny
- 3 g powdered saffron or 6 -12 saffron threads, softened in a little warm water
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- chopped lovage (to garnish) or parsley (to garnish)
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
- Take a large roasting tray, one that will take the vegetables in one layer, and add the olive oil to it, then heat the oil in the oven for about 5 minutes until very hot.
- Take the tray out and add the prepared vegetables immediately, tossing them around to get a good coating of oil, put them back in the oven and roast them for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat up the honey in a small saucepan or in the microwave and add the softened saffron threads or saffron powder - mix well.
- After 30 minutes, take the vegetables out and add the honey and saffron, pouring over the vegetables and turning them around to make sure that all have an even coating of the mixture.
- Sprinkle the cumin seeds, celery seeds, sea salt and black pepper to taste over the top and give them a quick mix again, before putting them back into the oven for a further 20 to 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft, glazed and tinged brown at the edges.
- Serve them in an attractive serving bowl and sprinkle with chopped lovage or parsley.
- I have allowed one of each vegetable per serving, this may be too generous - please adjust the quantities to suit what else you may be serving alongside these vegetables!
Love this! Roasted veggie are so yummy! I did use 4 carrots and 3 large parsnips. I used about a 1/4 of the seeds mixture. Thanks for the sweet treats! ;)
Well, what's not delicious about anything with saffron in it?! These are superb and quick to make even though they roast a while. Had a glass of Merlot while roasting! Cleaned the kitchen, too! Thanks, FT, for a lovely root vegetable recipe that's as delicious as it's photogenic! Made for Veggie Recipe Swap.
Thanks to you french tart, I made a whole meal with your lovely recipes. This was the vegetable dish I made - it was yummy and the best roast vegetables I have ever made. I added some cubed rutabag as well. Thank you.