Recipe by Jo Ann L
This is an old recipe, probably at least 50 years. My mother usually made it around Christmas time, because that was when cranberries were available.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups peeled and thinly sliced apples, preferably a firm variety such as granny smith
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Fruit Layer: Mix together the sugar and the two spices.
- Sprinkle half of the mixture over the bottom of an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Arrange the apple slices over the sugar mixture, and then spread the cranberries evenly over the apples.
- Sprinkle the remaining sugar mixture over the fruit.
- Pour the water over the fruit, then dot with the margarine.
- Place the pan in a 400° oven for 10 minutes while mixing the cake batter.
- Cake Batter: Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Mix together with a pastry blender or blending fork, using a cutting-in motion at first to divide shortening into small pieces (about 8 to 10 strokes).
- Then stir in a circular motion with the blender just until flour is moistened and ingredients blended.
- The batter will look lumpy.
- Remove pan from oven and spread cake batter over hot fruit.
- Bake at 400° for about 35 minutes.
- Serve upside down while warm.
- Can be served alone, or with hard sauce, ice cream or whipped cream.