Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
These cupcakes are absolutely beautiful! Great for holiday parties and get-togethers. The decorating paste is very concentrated compared to typical food coloring. Be careful not to get in on your hands…it is very difficult to wash off. It gives the batter a lovely bright red coloring. The sanding sugar provides an elegant finishing touch. Both items can be found at Williams-Sonoma or similar type stores.
- 517.37 g package yellow cake mix
- 29.58 ml unsweetened baking cocoa
- 5 large eggs
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 21.26 g bottledecorating paste red food coloring
- 118.29 ml butter
- 226.79 g package cream cheese
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- 44.37 ml heavy whipping cream
- 709.77 ml confectioner's powdered sugar
- 4.92 ml decorating paste green food coloring
- 88.74 ml white sanding sugar
- 88.74 ml red sanding sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 12 count muffin pan and a 6 count muffin pan with silver foil liners, for a total of 18 large cupcakes.
- In a large mixing bowl, electrically beat cake mix, cocoa, eggs, oil, buttermilk and red decorating paste for about 4 minutes.
- Pour batter evenly between the cupcakes until about two-thirds full.
- Bake 19-24 minutes or until toothpick comes up clean from center.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
- Microwave cream cheese and butter for around 15 seconds to bring to room temperature.
- Beat cream cheese, butter, vanilla and the whipping cream for about 3 minutes until fluffy.
- Add confectioner’s sugar and beat until desired consistency is reached.
- Frost 9 of the 18 cupcakes with ½ of this white frosting.
- Sprinkle white frosted cupcakes with red sanding sugar.
- In the remaining ½ frosting, add green decorating paste and beat until blended.
- Frost the remaining 9 cupcakes with this green frosting.
- Sprinkle green frosted cupcakes with white sanding sugar.