Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I love playing in the kitchen and trying new things. I also love cornbread. At the time I happened to be in a hurry and made this one up for a quick dinner , and it came out great and tasty. I hope you enjoy i .
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) canof diced stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) box Jiffy cornbread mix
- Cook ground beef, onion and bell pepper till meats cooked through and bell pepper and onion are tender. Drain.
- Add tomatoes, corn and seasonings and stir well.
- Pour into a 8x8 baking dish, add cheese on top evenly.
- Make cornbread as instructed on box.
- Pour evenly over mixture.
- Bake at 425°F until cornbread is golden.
This is the best dish I've made in weeks! Easy and REALLY tasty! Save a few bucks and sub the red bell ($3.99!) out for a small jar of roasted red peppers ($1.99!). The cornbread is sweet and the meat is spicy - perfect! Oh and by the way, bake for 20-25 min. ^_^
This recipe was great - it is defiately going to be a repeat in my house. I was worried because I had to make some substitutions, but it was still good. I didn't have canned tomatoes so I cut up a small tomato and added 8oz of ketchup -- I also didn't have the spice cumin, so I substituted it with 3/4 teaspoons of caraway seeds. It was still great! Thanks for the recipe!
ladycat38, this was an excellent dish! I reluctantly cut back a bit on the spices in deference to DD's tastes. I had only a larger size cornmeal mix, so baked the meal in a 7 by 11" pan & cooked it about 7 minutes longer than the recipe directed. I forgot to add the cheese layer, so when serving, I inverted the casserole & sprinkled the cheese over the meat layer on the plates. It worked just fine. We all had 2nds & I can't remember the last time that happened. Thanks!