Recipe by Mimi in Maine
These are so pretty for Christmas-giving. They add so much to a cookie plate. I got the recipe from one of those little cookbooks in the grocery isle. I don't remember which one. Both cherries below are candied cherries. I typed it in that way but for some reason they would not allow me to keep the green ones candied; they changed it to glazed. That is why it reads that way.
- 4 egg whites
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 cups coconut
- 1⁄4 cup chopped candied red cherries
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green glazed cherries (no mint)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and lightly flour cookie sheet.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites till foamy.
- Add sugar, flour, salt, and almond; blend well.
- Stir in coconut and candied cherries.
- Drop by scant tablespoonsfuls 2-inches apart on the cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 325 degree oven for 13-17 minutes or till set and only lightly browned.
- Remove immediately to rack.