Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a mayo free recipe! My mom makes this all summer long. It's great for a hot summer lunch or dinner, great to bring to a picnic.
- 1 (8 1/4 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) container cream cheese
- 2 cups of chopped chicken
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, undrained and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup of sliced celery
- 1⁄2 cup of slivered toasted almond
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, slices (including tops)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/4 cup of liquid.
- Combine reserved pineapple liquid and cream cheese, mixing until well blended.
- Add pineapple, chicken, water chestnuts, celery, 1/4 cup of almonds(walnuts and pecans will work also), onions, salt and pepper to cream cheese mixture; mix lightly.
- Chill at least one hour but overnight is best.
- To serve place in tomatoes, lettuce cups, or large cooked pasta shells. Prep time does not include time to chill.
Delicious! This reminded me of a holiday cheese ball my mom used to make. The flavors blended well together and there was a nice crunch to the salad. Other than draining the water chestnuts I followed the recipe. I'll definitely make this again. Next time though I may add a little more seasonings. Made for Pick A Chef 2013.
Nice variation on chicken salad! The assortment of veggies add a nice crunch and the pineapple and almonds add a nice touch. Thanks for sharing! PAC Spring '11