Recipe by Cheesehead
This is my dad's favorite Christmas cookie. It is on the order of a shortbred cookie. I absolutely hate nuts but you don't really taste them in this cookie. I put the nuts in my blend and ground them fine.
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla (Yes Tablespoons)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 20 candied cherries
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend together shortening, butter, salt, sugar and vanilla.
- Add flour and pecans and mix into a soft dough.
- Preheat oven to 325° F and grease cookie sheets.
- Measure out level tablespoonfuls of dough and roll between palms of hands to form round balls.
- Place on greased cookie sheets.
- Press a little indentation in center in each cookie with a thimble and put half of cherry on top.
- Bake in preheated 325 oven for 25 minutes.