Recipe by WizzyTheStick
A recipe from my favourite Trinidadian chef, Debra Sardinha-Metevier.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Have to admit that I'm partial to my own stuffing recipe, but this is one that I'd be willing to make again, although I would cut back on the amount of chicken stock! The broccoli & pumpkin gave an unusual flavor combination that I liked, just as I know my son would, too, so the next time I have him over.... Thanks for sharing!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons onions, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons celery, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons thyme, leaves only
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 4 cups dried bread, crust included (cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup broccoli floret (cut up in salted water)
- 1 cup calabaza pumpkin, cubed and roasted (or butternut squash)
- black pepper (freshly ground)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake cubed bread in an oven at 300°F until crisp and dry.
- Melt the oil and butter in a heavy saucepan.
- Add the garlic and onions and sauté until golden brown.
- Add the salt, black pepper, celery, fresh herbs, spices, bread crumbs, raisins, and half the broccoli and half the pumpkin.
- Mix well and add the stock.
- Lower the heat, cover pot and simmer for about 20 minutes.