Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A recipe from my favourite Trinidadian chef, Debra Sardinha-Metevier.
Make and share this Festive Caribbean Stuffing recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons onions, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons celery, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons thyme, leaves only
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 4 cups dried bread, crust included (cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup broccoli floret (cut up in salted water)
- 1 cup calabaza pumpkin, cubed and roasted (or butternut squash)
- black pepper (freshly ground)
- Bake cubed bread in an oven at 300°F until crisp and dry.
- Melt the oil and butter in a heavy saucepan.
- Add the garlic and onions and sauté until golden brown.
- Add the salt, black pepper, celery, fresh herbs, spices, bread crumbs, raisins, and half the broccoli and half the pumpkin.
- Mix well and add the stock.
- Lower the heat, cover pot and simmer for about 20 minutes.
Have to admit that I'm partial to my own stuffing recipe, but this is one that I'd be willing to make again, although I would cut back on the amount of chicken stock! The broccoli & pumpkin gave an unusual flavor combination that I liked, just as I know my son would, too, so the next time I have him over.... Thanks for sharing!