Recipe by Zurie
This is not really a recipe, so rather use the picture as a guide! Use both sliced and whole tomatoes, and try to get different-sized types. I made this for our hot-weather Christmas lunch, but it would be perfect for any occasion. We get the mozzarella balls in a light brine and the pretty white balls look great with the tomatoes, but you could cut up any good-quality mozzarella. The pesto was a nice bright green, but by the time I took the picture it had darkened somewhat. Quantities are guesses: I had a lot of tomatoes and more or less "arranged" them to taste. A large white round platter would be best to use -- I could not find one in time, so used a pale green one.
Top Review by UmmBinat
Lovely look. A good idea to use brined bocconcini as mentioned in the introduction, mine were not, just in water so I added flaked sea salt on top before serving. Made a vinaigrette with a little of the recipe#387715 I used for the center added to it. Made for ZWT7 Italy, for my team Food.Commandos
- 2 -3 large ripe tomatoes
- 6 ounces grape tomatoes or 6 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 6 ounces grape tomatoes (the very small kind)
- 6 fresh mozzarella balls (bocconcini)
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella balls, small size (small bocconcini)
- 4 -6 tablespoons basil pesto (buy a good brand or use home-made)
- 2 tablespoons vinaigrette dressing
- fresh basil (to garnish)
- flaked sea salt, like maldon
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and dry the tomatoes.
- Slice the large ones neatly in thickish slices; do not peel.
- Slice some of the larger grape tomatoes in half and keep others whole.
- Arrange the slices of tomato and the different-sized tomatoes in a circle, preferably on a large white platter.
- Drain the mozzarella balls (preferably a large and a small size), and arrange to your taste between the tomatoes.
- Drizzle vinaigrette dressing over the tomatoes and mozzarella. (Alternatively, you can toss the prepared tomatoes and the mozzarella in a bowl with the dressing, and then arrange it around the platter).
- Place the pesto in the centre.
- Garnish with sprigs of fresh basil, or use fresh oregano, which is equally good.
- Put the sea salt flakes in a small bowl and ask guests to season their own salad.