1/3 Photos of Festive Caprese Salad Wreath
This is not really a recipe, so rather use the picture as a guide! Use both sliced and whole tomatoes, and try to get different-sized types. I made this for our hot-weather Christmas lunch, but it would be perfect for any occasion. We get the mozzarella balls in a light brine and the pretty white balls look great with the tomatoes, but you could cut up any good-quality mozzarella. The pesto was a nice bright green, but by the time I took the picture it had darkened somewhat. Quantities are guesses: I had a lot of tomatoes and more or less "arranged" them to taste. A large white round platter would be best to use -- I could not find one in time, so used a pale green one.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 large ripe tomatoes
- 6 ounces grape tomatoes or 6 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 6 ounces grape tomatoes (the very small kind)
- 6 fresh mozzarella balls (bocconcini)
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella balls, small size (small bocconcini)
- 4 -6 tablespoons basil pesto (buy a good brand or use home-made)
- 2 tablespoons vinaigrette dressing
- fresh basil (to garnish)
- flaked sea salt, like maldon
- 1Wash and dry the tomatoes.
- 2Slice the large ones neatly in thickish slices; do not peel.
- 3Slice some of the larger grape tomatoes in half and keep others whole.
- 4Arrange the slices of tomato and the different-sized tomatoes in a circle, preferably on a large white platter.
- 5Drain the mozzarella balls (preferably a large and a small size), and arrange to your taste between the tomatoes.
- 6Drizzle vinaigrette dressing over the tomatoes and mozzarella. (Alternatively, you can toss the prepared tomatoes and the mozzarella in a bowl with the dressing, and then arrange it around the platter).
- 7Place the pesto in the centre.
- 8Garnish with sprigs of fresh basil, or use fresh oregano, which is equally good.
- 9Put the sea salt flakes in a small bowl and ask guests to season their own salad.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Festive Caprese Salad Wreath
Serving Size: 1 (115 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 137.2
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 22.4 mg
- Sodium 186.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 8.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh mozzarella balls