Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 mins
There are a lot of candy cane cookies posted but none seem like this one. I got these from a BHG email of cookie recipes. They are very festive looking and taste great.
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces white chocolate
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- 1⁄2 cup candy cane, crushed (peppermint)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease cookie sheets.
- Beat the first two ingredients on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar & baking powder, then egg, milk and vanilla.
- Beat well in mixer.
- Beat in cocoa powder and as much flour as you can with the mixer.
- Stir in remaining flour.
- Divide dough in half.
- Cover, chill at least one hour.
- Working with piece of the dough at a time, roll into slightly less than 1/4 inch thickness on a floured surface.
- Using a candy cane cookie cutter cut dough.
- Place one inch apart on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake 7 - 9 minutes until firm and lightly browned.
- Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wired rack.
- Heat white chocolate and 2 tsp of shortening in small saucepan over low heat until melted, stirring often (although I microwave on low heat for 30 second intervals until melted, stirring in between).
- Pour melted chocolate into freezer quart sized ziploc bag (I used freezer kind because it was thicker). Clip a small bit off one corner to create a hole in the bag. Then gently squeeze the bag drizzling the chocolate through the hole on to the cookies.
- Sprinkle on crushed candy-canes (quickly before chocolate hardens!).
- Let stand until set.