Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
From the cookbook Vegetarian Cooking by Crescent Publishers. The red cabbage is not only the main ingredient but is its own salad bowl!
- 1 large red cabbage
- 1 small green bell pepper, de-seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 small pineapple, peeled and finely chopped or 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 2 oranges, peeled and segmented
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 celery ribs, and leaves chopped
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts, toasted (can substitute almonds or walnuts)
- 1⁄2 cup adzuki beans, cooked, drained or 1⁄2 cup black beans or 1⁄2 cup red beans
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Remove any of the outer discolored or tough leaves from the cabbage.
- Trim the base of the cabbage head so that the cabbage will stand upright then cut about a quarter off the top.
- Mix together well the dressing ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a sharp knife, scoop out the inside of the cabbage leaving about 1/4 inch for the shell. Set aside.
- Shred the remaining cabbage finely. Put the shredded cabbage into a large bowl along with the bell pepper, pineapple, orange segments, green onions, celery and leaves, nuts and beans.
- Carefully fold in the dressing with the cabbage mixture.
- Put the salad mixture into the prepared cabbage shell and garnish with fresh parsley if desired.
- Cover and chill for 1 hour.