Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Found this on S.B.S. and can't wait to try it. This recipe is usually served with Jamaican jerk chicken.
- 185 g plain flour (1 1/4 cups)
- 120 g polenta (3/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 55 g caster sugar (1/4 cup)
- vegetable oil
- Sift plain flour into a bowl and add polenta, salt, baking powder and caster sugar. Stir to combine. Gradually add 180ml (¾ cup) water, while stirring, to form a sticky dough.
- Cover with plastic wrap and rest for 35 minutes.
- Fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan one-third full with vegetable oil and heat over medium heat to 180°C (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 10 seconds).
- Knead dough on a lightly floured work surface for 1 minute, then divide into 12 and shape into 8cm logs.
- Working in batches, gently drop logs into oil and fry, turning halfway, for 5 minutes or until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Serve bread warm.
This is so good! Made as directed. Really appreciated the US measurements, too. DH said that this dough is also perfect for placing a hotdog inside of -- he's so right! Next time "Festival Dogs" for lunch! Lol!. Thanks for a great recipe, Tisme. Made for ZWT9, team Gourmet Goddesses.