Recipe by Tisme
Found this on S.B.S. and can't wait to try it. This recipe is usually served with Jamaican jerk chicken.
Top Review by mersaydees
This is so good! Made as directed. Really appreciated the US measurements, too. DH said that this dough is also perfect for placing a hotdog inside of -- he's so right! Next time "Festival Dogs" for lunch! Lol!. Thanks for a great recipe, Tisme. Made for ZWT9, team Gourmet Goddesses.
- 185 g plain flour (1 1/4 cups)
- 120 g polenta (3/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 55 g caster sugar (1/4 cup)
- vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift plain flour into a bowl and add polenta, salt, baking powder and caster sugar. Stir to combine. Gradually add 180ml (¾ cup) water, while stirring, to form a sticky dough.
- Cover with plastic wrap and rest for 35 minutes.
- Fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan one-third full with vegetable oil and heat over medium heat to 180°C (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 10 seconds).
- Knead dough on a lightly floured work surface for 1 minute, then divide into 12 and shape into 8cm logs.
- Working in batches, gently drop logs into oil and fry, turning halfway, for 5 minutes or until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Serve bread warm.