Recipe by Chandra M
This is one of those times that you are surprised by the result when it is so easy to prepare. Also a rare treat to have something out of the slow cooker that I would serve at a dinner party :) I served with steamed rice. Adapted from Secrets of Slow Cooking.
- 2 lbs skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 2⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup pomegranate molasses
- 1⁄2 cup fresh pomegranate seeds (to garnish) or 1⁄2 cup dried barberries (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken thighs on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In a large skillet, toast the walnuts over med-high heat about 3 minutes.
- Transfer walnuts to a food processor and "finely" chop them.
- Add the walnuts to the slow cooker.
- Add the water & bay leaf to the cooker and cover.
- Cook on low for 4 hours or until chicken is tender & reads 180F on an instant read thermometer.
- Use tongs to remove the chicken.
- Pull the meat off the bones & set the meat aside.
- Turn the cooker to high and stir in the sugar and pomegranate molasses.
- Cook 1 hour or until the sauce is thickened and simmering. (If you prefer a thicker sauce, transfer it to a saucepan instead and boil for 20-25 minutes).
- Return the chicken to the sauce and cook until the chicken is heated through.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- Serve sprinkled with pomegranate seeds.