1 hr 15 mins
I had this marvelous dish in a Mediterranean Cafe. The fragrance is wonderful and the taste sublime. There has been quite a bit of discussion on this recipe. I would like to clarify that I have had this dish only twice at one restaurant and that I have never actually made the dish. I enjoyed it so much I searched and found this recipe online, it is not original by me. I do not find the one star review helpful. That it doesn't taste like grandma's does not mean it is a bad recipe. As for the use of Garlic, I know nothing of regional Iranian dishes, but I love garlic in most anything!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 small onions, sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups walnuts, finely ground
- 2/3 cup pomegranate syrup
- 2 1/2 cups stock or 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons saffron (optional)
- 2 limes, juice of
- 2 1/2-3 lbs bone-in poultry, of choice
- 1Heat butter or oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven.
- 2Add onions and sauté until wilted and translucent.
- 3Add garlic, cinnamon and nutmeg and sauté, stirring, for another 1-2 minutes.
- 4Stir in walnuts, pomegranate syrup, stock, sugar, salt, pepper and saffron.
- 5Adjust sugar and salt to taste.
- 6Bring to a low boil and simmer 1/2 hour.
- 7Add chicken and simmer on low heat another 30-60 minutes.
- 8Halfway through the cooking time, add the lime juice to taste.
- 9The sauce will thicken and darken during this cooking time, and the oil will begin to render out of the walnuts.
- 10Add water or stock if necessary to prevent the sauce from thickening too much and scorching.
- 11Serve with plain white rice.
- 12NOTES Fesenjan is special occasion food in Iran.
- 13It is traditionally made with duck or pheasant in the north of the country along the Caspian sea.
- 14It is a thick, rich, sweet-sour dish that improves in flavor the next day.
- 15Pomegranate syrup is available in most Middle Eastern and health food stores.
- 16If it is unavailable, you can use an equal amount of frozen, concentrated cranberry juice.
- 17The flavor is roughly the same.
- 18You can use a whole bone-in chicken if you like.
- 19Cut it into 8 serving pieces and remove most of the skin.
- 20The bones will give the dish a richer flavor.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fesenjan (Iranian Special Occasion Dish)
Serving Size: 1 (79 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 432.8
- Calories from Fat 368
- Total Fat 40.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1165.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 7.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: