1/1 Photo of Ferris Wheel Chicken Salad
From my State Fair of Texas Prize winning recipes cookbook, September 1990. I'm a simple person. I only go to the State Fair to tour food hall exhibits, drink warm beer & eat funnel cake. Then I'm through. DH, on the other hand, likes to experience life extremely from atop large whirly things. He shamed me ( had the nerve to call me chicken!) into riding the tallest Ferris Wheel in North America, the 212 foot Texas Star. After standing in line for 3 days, we boarded the monster along with his brother & wife. And off we go. WHEEEEEE ... After 1/4 revolution (maybe less), I hit my panic quotient. Rather than making a screaming scene, I casually slipped down to the floor of the car, curled into the fetal position & perused my newly acquired cookbook; a real feat with closed eyes. Every now & again, I might have moaned softly but I'm sure they all thought I was really into some great sounding recipe; not afraid or anything. During the 2 weeks we spent suspended at the top awaiting our turn to disembark, I was enticed by "Oh, look at that view". Snakelike, I slithered up on the seat, saw Las Vegas & promptly swooned back to the floor where I rationally inserted SIL's ankle into my mouth as a bite block just in case I went into convulsions. (It might have been downtown Dallas that I saw but I'm pretty sure it was LV because I think I saw the sun glint off Wayne Newton's teeth.) I'm quite positive that no one was the slightest bit suspicious when, at ground level once again, I was pulled from the car & carried off fireman style. Bet he never calls me chicken again! I showed him the strong stuff I'm made of!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine olive oil, lime juice, cumin & garlic. Cap jar & whirl it around, like a ferris wheel, till well mixed. Or use a more traditional method and shake till combined (the jar, I mean).
- 2Combine cilantro, tomatoes, onion & chicken in a medium bowl.
- 3Pour the whirled dressing over & toss to coat.
- 4Spoon into nice, green (kind of the color of my face on a tall whirly thing) avocado halves & serve immediately.
- 5Makes 6 single servings.
- 6Cooks notes: Cook time does not include getting the chicken to the shredding phase.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ferris Wheel Chicken Salad
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 398.8
- Calories from Fat 264
- Total Fat 29.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 58.8 mg
- Sodium 60.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 23.5 g