Recipe by Oolala
This is Marcel Desaulniers' recipe from the Trellis Restaurant in Williamsburg, Virginia.
Top Review by Everblest
This was some good chicken. The whole family got excited about this. Not too difficult to make and so worth the little bit of extra effort. I didn't change a thing to the recipe. I am making this one again tonight.
- 1 chicken, cut up into pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- black pepper, freshly cracked
- peanut oil (or vegetable oil)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Dip pieces into buttermilk, coating thoroughly.
- Combine cornmeal and flour in a shallow dish.
- Roll the chicken in the mixture, coating thoroughly.
- Pour cooking oil into large frying pan, to 1/2 inch depth.
- Heat over medium-high heat until very hot.
- Add chicken pieces to hot oil and cook until golden brown. The hot oil should reach half way up the sides of the chicken.
- Turn pieces and cook on second side.
- When chicken is completely browned, remove from pan and place on a baking sheet.
- Continue cooking in the oven until the chicken is done.