Recipe by zeldaz51
A recipe developed by Pikl-It for their 1.5 liter fermenting jar. Mildly acidic, tasty, great in salads, sandwiches, or on their own.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shredded organic carrots (scrubbed well, don' t peel!)
- 3 heads dill or 1 tablespoon packed fresh dill weed
- 2% brine (19 grams pickling salt)
- 4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons water, for airlock
Directions See How It's Made
- Load the 1-liter Pickl-It with grated carrots and dill.
- Pack carrots to remove air pockets.
- Dissolve salt in water; pour over carrots until brine-height reaches the “shoulder”.
- Place lettuce, kale, chard, or cabbage leaf on top the shredded carrots,.
- Place Dunk’R (weight) on top of chosen leaf material; insert flat-end of French rolling pin or wooden spoon into Dunk’R to press carrots/leaf, expressing oxygen.
- Brine should extend 1-inch above carrots.
- Snap the Pickl-It lid closed.
- Install airlock in lid (if it isn’t already in place), and add approximately 1 1/2 T water to the airlock, snapping on airlock plastic cover.
- Place Pickl-It in a dark corner of the counter – for 3 to 5 days – drape towel around Pickl-It, but not over airlock, blocking light.
- Ideal fermenting temperature is 72°F; if warmer, fermentation may occur in 3 days; if cooler, up to 7 days.
- Remove the airlock and insert the Pickl-It Plug’R for refrigerator storage.