Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs 20 mins
This recipe for a delicious cheesy-herb bread comes from the Winnipeg Free Press. I used the green onion and only half the Tabasco (because the first time I made it was for guests), but will use the full amount next time. I'd also recommend adding more cheese. I used quite finely cubed cheese and I could hardly see or taste it. Delicious nonetheless and what an incredible smell while baking!
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 3 cups white flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes or 3 tablespoons fresh green onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup finely cubed cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon bread machine yeast
- Combine in order recommended for your bread machine.
- Select white bread cycle.
I am inexperienced at baking and newly introduced to bread machines. This was only the THIRD bread I have ever tried and by far the most successful. Replaced the hot pepper sauce with a full teaspoon chilli flakes, the basil with ground rosemary, used butter and double amount chopped spring onion, upped the dried yeast to two teaspoons and WOW and WOW again! Eaten warm with butter is pure bliss and no less satisfying toasted and spread with cream cheese.