Recipe by awalde
I'm sure that with this recipe a lot of people would convert to fennel lovers!
Top Review by loof
I am a newcomer to fennel and this is a very tasty recipe! I made half of the recipe and used a little less oil than called for. After cooking the fennel on the stove I put the pan under the broiler to brown the parmesan as per your second suggestion. We enjoyed this - thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 3 tablespoons margarine (butter suits as well, but it's not my choice) or 3 tablespoons olive oil (butter suits as well, but it's not my choice)
- 1 lb fennel, cleaned and sliced (1/4 inch thick)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2⁄3 cup white wine
- salt and pepper (adjust to taste)
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the margarine or oil in a wide non-stick pan.
- Roast fennel (max heat) slices until light brown.
- Reduce the heat to medium (in my case it needed about 10 minutes).
- Add salt, pepper and wine.
- Stir once and cover (medium-low heat).
- Continue to cook until soft for about 10 minutes. If necessary add more wine or some water.
- Adjust salt and pepper.
- Now you have two possibilities (A and B).
- A) Top with parmesan and continue to cook until parmesan melts (easiest and fast version).
- B) Transfer fennel to a baking mold, top with parmesan and broil under grill shortly until parmesan changes color (beautiful and tasty). Don't burn it.
- Serve warm as side dish.
- Note: Small portions on a buffet woud be very cute as well. Reserve some fennel as decoration!