Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I'm posting this in reply to a request.
- 4 fennel bulbs, cut into wedges
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1⁄2 lemon, sliced
- 40 ml olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 60 g butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons pecorino cheese, grated (I would use parmesan if I didn't have pecorino)
- salt and pepper
- Place the fennel in a saucepan with the garlic, lemon, olive oil and salt.
- Pour over enough water to cover the fennel, and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until just tender.
- Drain well.
- Place the fennel in a heatproof dish, drizzle with the melted butter, then sprinkle with the cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Place under a hot grill (broiler?) until the cheese has melted and browned.
- Serve immediately.
This made a great accompaniment to roast pork and baked vegetables. I used one very big bulb of fennel, core and tough outer leaves removed, and substituted parmesan for the pecorino. As my fennel bulb was large, I simmered it an extra few minutes, just to make sure it was tender. I hate to waste those lovely feathery fennel fronds so I chopped them finely and mixed them in with the cheese. It did need a little extra salt at the end, and perhaps could have done with a teaspoon of lemon juice extra. But these are small refinements - it was a really lovely dish, which would also be nice as an appetiser.
I really liked this - it wasn't too buttery and let the flavours of the fennel shine through. I used parmigiano reggiano which was less salty tasting than the pecorino - thanks for the yummy recipe!
This was a nice surprise. We had never eaten fennel before and weren't sure what to expect. Lots of flavor is what we got! I had to ask the produce guy where these things were since I had never bought one before. 4 bulbs came to almost 4 lbs! I used pecorino cheese and next time I will use a bit less butter. Thanks for the recipe.